Choosing what backup software to use can be complicated. There are many factors to consider and unfortunately, there is no one ‘best choice’ as every person’s or business’ requirements will be different.
With that being said, here are a few pointers to get you in the right direction. You can use some of these prompts to help you start making a shortlist of the software that would be more suitable for you.
Does it Backup What You Need it to?
- Operating Systems?
- Storage Devices
Where Do You Want to Backup to?
- Local Network
- Own Remote Site
- Rest of the World
Advanced Features Such as DR & BC?
- Features that are ‘nice to have’
- Features that would present sales opportunities
- Is The Pricing Reasonable?
- Is The Licensing Easy to Understand?
- If Monthly – Is There a Minimum Commitment? Minimum term or spend?
Do You Need Your Backup Software to Overcome a Specific Scenario?
- Restricted internet bandwidth
- Restricted timeframes
- Backup over WAN connections
Local Network Backup
- Needs a local Server